[equinox-dev] Initial FrameworkAdmin commit into the incubator

Hi,

First of all, thank you for voting me as an Equinox Incubator Committer.

Although it took so long time since the company I'm working for
is not a member of the Eclipse Foundation, finally I became one !

Now, I committed to CVS the initial FrameworkAdmin service, which I've been
working on. Here is a short description of what the service does
(part of the abstract of my short talk for EclipseCon 2007):

------------------
To date, the focus of the OSGi Service Platform Specifications has been to
standardize a runtime infrastructure. Therefore how to configure and launch
an OSGi framework is not addressed leaving scenarios such as bootstrapping
an OSGi framework on a clean system hard to manage in a framework
independent way.

The FrameworkAdmin service aims at configuring and launching an OSGi
framework in a framework independent way. This API enables to:
- configure a non-running framework on aspects like,
	- set of bundles to run,
	- Java VM location,
	- Java VM arguments,
	- launcher location, and so on.
- inspect a non-running framework to see which bundles are known of the system.
- launch a framework by the specified configuration.

------------------
The plugins I committed are as follows:
- org.eclipse.equinox.frameworkadmin
- org.eclipse.equinox.frameworkadmin.equinox
- org.eclipse.equinox.frameworkadmin.knopflerfish
- org.eclipse.equinox.frameworkadmin.felix
- org.eclipse.equinox.frameworkadmin.examples
- org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator
- org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator.manipulator
------------------

For more details, please check the following EclipseWiki page:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Equinox_FrameworkAdmin

Note that I will now investigate how to hook other OSGi configuration
mechanisms into the framework admin service.

If you have any comments or requests about APIs, please feel free to
contact me or post it on the ML.

NTT Cyber Solutions Laboratories
     Ikuo YAMASAKI
        E-mail: yamasaki.ikuo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx