[equinox-dev] Bundle Granularity?

I'm wondering if there are any rules of thumb in terms of the granularity of bundles? What are the advantages and disadvantages of having fine grained bundles versus coarser grained bundles? For instance, what is the average cost of a bundle in terms of:

- Memory overhead?
- Classloader lookup times?
- Threads in the system?
- Other overhead?

The positive things I can think of include the ability for the system to lazily load only the bundles that are actually necessary. What are the other advantages of finer grained bundles?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.
Craig

PS - I'm primarily talking about bundles in the context of the Eclipse platform rather than at the Equinox framework level.

Back to the top