RE: [equinox-dev] EventAdmin and topic legality

Ok.  Will do.  Thanks very much for the assistance.

-Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of BJ Hargrave
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:11 AM
To: Equinox development mailing list
Subject: RE: [equinox-dev] EventAdmin and topic legality

Ah. That is 3.1 which included 4.0 version of Event.java which had this
problem with being too strict. This was fixed in OSGi 4.0.1. Try the
latest org.eclipse.osgi.services from 3.3 for 4.0.1 files which contain
the fix.

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM
hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx

office: +1 386 848 3788
mobile: +1 386 848 3788

"Michael Furtak" <mfurtak@xxxxxxx>
01/30/2007 11:01 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: [equinox-dev] EventAdmin and topic legality

Hmm.  I just downloaded a fresh copy of
org.eclipse.osgi.services_3.1.100.v20060601.jar from the downloads
section of the Equinox site.  I assume that is the correct source for
the Event class in question?  I then ran the following:

package com.cra.test;
import org.osgi.service.event.Event;
public class TopicTest
{
  public static void main(String[] args)
  {
    System.out.println(new Event("com/cra/foobar", null).getTopic());
    System.out.println(new Event("com/cra/foo-bar", null).getTopic());
    System.out.println(new Event("com/cra/2foobar", null).getTopic());
    System.out.println(new Event("com/cra/_foobar", null).getTopic());
  }
}

That produced the following:

com/cra/foobar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: invalid
topic
                 at
org.osgi.service.event.Event.validateToken(Event.java:187)
                 at
org.osgi.service.event.Event.validateTopicName(Event.java:161)
                 at org.osgi.service.event.Event.<init>(Event.java:46)
                 at com.cra.test.TopicTest.main(TopicTest.java:13)

-Mike

What version of Equinox are you using? I ran this code using the latest
Event.java and all the examples are fine topics:

package com.ibm.test;
import org.osgi.service.event.Event;
public class TopicTest {
                System.out.println(new Event("com/cra/foobar", null
).getTopic());
                System.out.println(new Event("com/cra/foo-bar", null
).getTopic());
                System.out.println(new Event("com/cra/2foobar", null
).getTopic());
                System.out.println(new Event("com/cra/_foobar", null
).getTopic());
        }
}

produces:

com/cra/foobar
com/cra/foo-bar
com/cra/2foobar
com/cra/_foobar

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM
hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx

office: +1 386 848 3788
mobile: +1 386 848 3788

"Michael Furtak" <mfurtak@xxxxxxx>
01/30/2007 09:56 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: [equinox-dev] EventAdmin and topic legality

My impression that the implementation was stricter than the spec was
just based upon my interpretation of what should be a valid topic under
the spec.

For control, the following topic does work for me:
"com/cra/foobar"

Example topics that I have tried, but do not work include:
"com/cra/foo-bar"
"com/cra/2foobar"
"com/cra/_foobar"

They all produce a stack trace identical to the one in my original
message.  Should those topics be valid to your knowledge?

Thanks,
-Mike