RE: [equinox-dev] system bundle package exports

I suggest you open a bug against PDE-UI and cc me on the bug report.  Thanks.

Tom

Matthew Webster <matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx>

01/23/2007 09:22 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
RE: [equinox-dev] system bundle package exports

Tom,

Presumably therefore another bundle (in a plug-in project) importing the package will also get errors (I've tried and it does). I am not sure therefore how I can use this OSGi feature if PDE doesn't know about it. My interest in it lies with trying to find a way to export some IBM JDK specific packages e.g. com.ibm.oti.shared. I _was_ building my bundle with the IBM JVM but PDE made sure I couldn't export it (only looks at manfest.mf and build.properties). I was hoping to be able to create a bundle that could export the package without having to implement dummy classes/interfaces as I do today.

Cheers

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)
Email: Matthew Webster/UK/IBM @ IBMGB, matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx
http://w3.hursley.ibm.com/~websterm/

Thomas Watson <tjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx>

23/01/2007 14:42

Please respond to

cc
Subject
RE: [equinox-dev] system bundle package exports

The extension directive should not be necessary because "framework" is the default if the host is the system.bundle.  The error you are seeing is a warning by PDE not the runtime.  The bundle should still be able to export the package at runtime.

Tom

"Simon Kaegi" <simon.kaegi@xxxxxxxxx>

01/23/2007 08:12 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
RE: [equinox-dev] system bundle package exports

Try...

Re: [equinox-dev] system bundle package exports

Tom,

Is this supposed to work in Eclipse 3.2.1? I have used your manifest but just get the following error:

Package 'sun.print' does not exist in this plug-in        my.framework.fragment/META-INF        MANIFEST.MF        line 7

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)
Email: Matthew Webster/UK/IBM @ IBMGB, matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx
http://w3.hursley.ibm.com/~websterm/
Thomas Watson <tjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx>

19/01/2007 14:36

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] system bundle package exports

The profile is selected based on the value of java.specification.version.  I would not recommend changing the profile in org.eclipse.osgi to export an additional package from the VM.  Instead you should create a framework fragment (see section 3.15 of the OSGi specification).  A framework fragment bundle (or extension bundle) can be used to export additional packages from the VM.  For example, if you need to export the "sun.print" package you could create a fragment bundle with the following bundle manifest.

Manifest-Version: 1.0

Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2

Bundle-Name: Sun Print packages

Bundle-SymbolicName: my.framework.fragment

Fragment-Host: system.bundle

Export-Package: sun.print

The fragment bundle would not actually contain any java code it would just be a jar with a single /META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file used to add a new export to the system bundle.

You could also use the osgi.java.profile property to point the framework to your own profile.  Search for osgi.java.profile in Eclipse help for more information..

HTH

Tom
Pierre Parrend <pierre.parrend@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

01/19/2007 07:59 AM

Please respond to

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] system bundle package exports

Hello,

I am new to equinox, and I'd like to port a utility I am currently building for
signing and publishing bundles on the platform.
I need to export some extra packages from the system bundle.
However, when I add package export to the 'J2SE-1.5.profile' file, they do not
appear to be exported inside the platform (they do not appear in the console
when I type 'packages 0'). How can I make them available ?

Moreover, I have not found where the '*.profile' file to be used is selected.
Is it done according to the jvm version ?

thank for the information

Pierre P.

--
Pierre Parrend