Re: [equinox-dev] Alternatives to OSGi

Well, several years ago we evaluated several things as a replacement runtime for Eclipse.  At the time the tihngs that seemed relevant were Avalon, JMX, and things like that.  Obviously in the end we chose OSGi.  Of course I am biased but I really don't think you are going to find a better, more vibrant, more widely used, better tooled, standard runtime framework unless you are in a particular niche that has requirements not met by OSGi (or there are alterantive industry standards in your domain).

Good luck and please do let us know what you look at and what you find.  This would be educational for all.
Jeff

"Jorge M." <ccsdev@xxxxxxxxx>

12/01/2006 10:47 AM

Please respond to

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] Alternatives to OSGi

Hi,
 I am currently evaluating frameworks for running services on server
as well as clients. WE would like soemthing that is light. The OSGi
framework looks pretty good.
  I would like to know if there are any other frameworks that OSGi
compares to. Have anyone in this mailing list have been in the same
position for evaluation different options?

Thanks

Jorge Medina
Sr. Software Enginner