Re: AW: [equinox-dev] Packaging opensource libraries as osgi bundles

Yes, I was re-mentioning Orbit as it seemed to bear on Alexander's questions.

As for a general repo, yes, this indeed would be interesting.  The costs do not have to be high in hosting.  ibiblio for example is free and while I don't know all the details, it seems like it would be possible to setup something there.  The cost seems more in the area of actually doing the bundling, setting up conventions and dealing with special cases etc.  Even that cost is not particularly high.

Summary, I think this is a grand idea and would very much like to see more bundled versions of libs available.

Jeff

"Neil Bartlett" <njbartlett@xxxxxxxxx>

11/10/2006 10:18 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: AW: [equinox-dev] Packaging opensource libraries as osgi               bundles

Jeff,

Piero's original email did mention Orbit, and noted that it can only
contain Eclipse-approved libraries. A more general repository would be
very useful, as it could include libraries that Eclipse projects will
never be allowed to use, eg the GPL-licensed ones etc.

There's not necessarily much of a technical challenge here, it's more a
problem of hosting costs. I think it would be a great thing for the OSGi
Alliance to sponsor such an effort since it would ease the migration path
for developers moving to OSGi.

Even better would be if more open source projects could be convinced to
offer bundle-ized distributions themselves. Again I think the Alliance
might have a role to play.

After all, what else have they got to spend those $20k/year membership
fees on? ;-)

- Neil

> see the Orbit project
>         http://eclipse.org/orbit
> Jeff
> "Ziegler, Alexander " <Alexander.Ziegler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Sent by: equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
> 11/10/2006 03:51 AM
> Please respond to
> Equinox development mailing list <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> cc
> Subject
> AW: [equinox-dev] Packaging opensource libraries as osgi bundles Hi,
> to package opensource a) libraries into bundles sounds good. It is
encouraging bundle like developing. Which opensource libraries could
canditates? All? e.g. like the Maven public repository? Maintaining a
repository of opensource bundles can become expensive depend the amount of
> opensource libraries and those different release cycles. To adopt
services
> for opensource libraries feels more difficult for me because you have to
define contracts and interfaces whose have to fulfil all requirements and
> to maintaining the stuff if some requirement change. Opensource
libraries
> have different APIs, different concepts how to use. Maybe for some
libraries it is better to whose by classes directly.
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 9. November 2006 17:48
> An: osgi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx;
> felix-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Betreff: [equinox-dev] Packaging opensource libraries as osgi bundles Hi,
> I am reflecting to the fact that it would be nice if a set of opensource
projects (starting from most used/trendy) would be packaged as osgi
bundles and keeped them in a repository. ( bundles.osgi.org for example or
> any other). I see interesting the Eclipse Orbit initiative which is
however devoted only to "eclipse-related" libraries.
> Clearly the problem of maintaining this repository would be high but the
benefits for osgi adoption could be interesting (specially when people see
> that with osgi they are able to manage lot of lines code more easily
than
> traditional approach).
> What do you think about that?
> PS
> As exercise I am starting porting existing opensource libraries as OSGi
bundles. I think there are two level of adoption:
> a) package "components" as osgi bundles and keep tracks of dependencies
and versions
> b) adopt a service oriented approach (using osgi registry or declarative
service)
> a) can be done easily and I think can also be maintained externally from
the main trunk of the project (if project is well modularized). b) should