Re: Re: [equinox-dev] Package access across plug-ins...

Tom,

The Package Admin Service looks like it work nicely, I'll investigate. As to what I'm doing, computers are really good at searching filesystems, and humans are really bad at remembering to do small details. IMHO, you are much better off to have tests be blacklist out, rather then whitelist in if you want to ensure that all tests are run. I want something to programatically search my plug-ins and fragments for anything that resembles a JUnit test and have it be run. It should attempt to run it unless it is explicitly filtered out.

I've found that people write tests, but forgot to attach them to the JUnit test harness at one level or another. In order to figure out that someone has missed adding a test, is a lot of manual work that must be done periodically or writting a program to search for class files that implement tests and compare them against the output of what actually ran. If I can write a program that can generate the set of tests that should be run, I'd much rather use that. I am doing exactly what you are suggesting (at least I think so). The code sketched out looks like this:

TestSuite globalSuite = new TestSuite();
for (extensions it : registry.getExtensionPoint(testLocationExtName)) {
  Bundle bundle = Platform.getBundle(it.getContributer().getName());

  // At this point, I need code that can search out the list of directories
  // I need DevClassPathHelper code in there that will give me a list of
// classpaths so that when this runs inside of the IDE, I can get bin/test-classes, bin/
  // bin/classes, etc from all plug-ins and fragments.
  List<String> classpathPrefixes = /** DevClassPathHelper magic here */

// I have yet to write the non-Dev class path code, but I don't believe this will
  // will be a significant effort.
  classPathPrefixes.add(searchNonDevClassPaths());

  for(String path : classpathPrefixes) {
Enumeration classNameEnum = bundle.findEntries(path, ".class", true );
      while (classNameEnum.hasMoreElements()) {
Class clazz = bundle.loadClass(extractClassName(prefix, classNameEnum.nextElement()));

// Do reflection magic to ensure it's a JUnit Test, it's not on a list of excluded tests, it's
          // not an abstract test, or any other criteria you like...
          if (passesFilter(clazz)) {
// Use reflection to see if class implements a static method suite(), if it does, great,
              // use that, otherwise use TestSuite.addTestSuite(Class);
              addTest(globalSuite, clazz);
          }
      }
  }

  suite.run();
}

With this code, you remove all TestSuites from the various levels, and just let this go find them. Now it's trivial to check the list of exclusions (it's a static list, maintained in a file, or source code). I can also just turn on the debugging flag/logging that will tell me what it's excluding.

That's the heart of what I'm attempting to accomplish. Then I'm going to use a headless application that runs the suite and logs the details (I've looked at org.eclipse.test as an example). Then running JUnit tests is as simple as building a product that contains all of the plug-ins you want to test. Put everything of interest into a feature, add the JUnit plug-ins or fragments, run the application. I don't have to enumerate the tests, or maintain a list of plug-ins to test in an Ant file. I create a "JUnit Product" for each "Application Product". The JUnit Product is maintained by specific feature that includes the application release feature, and the Junit Plug-ins and fragments.

Then it becomes a package/product just like all the others that I have to manage and maintain. I double click on it, and it runs my tests for me.

Thanks,
   Kirby