Re[2]: [equinox-dev] getting remote services from the registry

It is -very- difficult to handle the events with ServiceListener
objects, except when you only care about changes. However, in my
experience you do not just want to get changes, you want to get an
overview.

If on time t1, you get an overview (getServiceReferences), and then on
time t2 you register the listener, you might have missed a few
registrations or unregistrations. If you do it reverse, you might have
received duplicate registrations/unregistrations. In both cases you
are likely to get hurt. Most people that use Service Listener objects
do not correctly handle this gap, actually, I have never seen it done
right in any of the code I have reviewed so far.

This problem is solved with the service tracker. You get a callback
for -each- service in the registry as well as the ones that come and
go. You therefore can treat existing services as well as dynamically
appearing services in the same way.

So I -strongly- suggest to use the ServiceTracker (or iPOJO,
declarative services, etc) to handle your service tracking needs.

Kind regards,

     Peter Kriens