Re: [equinox-dev] ClassLoader deadlock issues

Kirby,

If you are the author of the main and children plug-ins, you should not be using BuddyLoading as your pluggability mechanism and should instead use the extension registry or services.
BuddyLoading has been designed to help people integrate libraries that use reflection and context classloaders as their extension mechanism and they can't change the code.

HTH,

PaScaL

"Kirby Bohling" <computerslicer23@xxxxxxxxxxx>

10/13/2006 05:10 PM

Please respond to

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] ClassLoader deadlock issues

All,

I've been working with Eclipse, and use Buddy Loaders fairly extensively  so
that core plug-ins can construct objects from their child plug-ins at
runtime.

The ClassLoader segmentation is causing me lots and lots of issues w/
BuddyLoaders and the deadlock.

I've seen this thread:
http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/equinox-dev/msg01354.html

This pretty much exactly covers my case.  Are there any workarounds or
mitigations?  I use object serialization for over the wire communication and
spring both of which use Global buddy loaders.  Currently my application
deadlocks 9 times out of 10.

I've been looking into writing my own classloader to deal with the issue.
That hasn't gotten me very far (I've inserted my own classloader that forces
all class loads to happen on a single threading context, but it's so slow I
haven't bothered to test it with my real application).  Are the any fixes or
work arounds?  Any guidelines I can follow to mitigate the problem.  A lot
the time my application is completely assembled at runtime via reflection.

   Thanks,
       Kirby