Re: [equinox-dev] Bug in "Run As Equinox"

That syntax should be fine.  It tells the bootstrap code (in EclipseStarter) to mark the bundle for persistent start and set its start-level to the value specified by the property  osgi.bundles.defaultStartLevel

At the console run the "sl" command to see what start-level the framework is set to and then run the "sl <bundle id>" command to see what start level your bundle is set to.  It seems like your bundles have a start-level that is higher than the current start-level of the framework.  There are two properties you should pay attention to.

osgi.bundles.defaultStartLevel - used to set the start-level of installed bundles that do not specify a particular start-level in the osgi.bundles list (defaults to 4).
osgi.startLevel - used to set the initial start-level of the framework (defaults to 6).

If you set osgi.bundles.defaultStartLevel > osgi.startLevel then your bundles will not be able to start because they will have a higher start-level than the current Framework start-level.  If this is not what is going on then please open a bug against PDE-UI.  Thanks.

Tom

Niclas Hedhman <niclas@xxxxxxxxxxx>

10/11/2006 04:24 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] Bug in "Run As Equinox"

Gang,

If we "Run As Equinox" and don't specify a start level for the bundles, we see
very strange behavior.

The PDE creates for instance

osgi.bundles=reference\:file\:C\:/dev/archive/eclipse/plugins-3.3-M2/org.ops4.pax.logging.api-0.9.4.jar@start

but Equinox has great difficulty in understanding that and although it loads
the bundle to a RESOLVED state, it will not start it, nor will I be able to
start it manually from the console.
If we manually add the startlevel (e.g @2:start) in the config.ini file,
Equinox runs as expected.

This behaviour is observed for both 3.2.1 [1] and 3.3-M2 [2].
And it is much worse in "Run As Eclipse Application", since we can't specify
the start levels at all, and the same behaviour is seen.

Is there something to this that we are missing? Will file bug report if not a
known issue.

Cheers
Niclas

[1] org.eclipse.osgi_3.2.1.R32x_v20060919.jar
[2] org.eclipse.osgi_3.3.0.v20060919.jar