Re: [equinox-dev] Status of Equinox respect to OSGi R4

Well there is (a) implementing all the OSGi specifications (and there are
many) and (b) faithfully implementing a specifications so that one is
compliant. These are orthogonal.

Since OSGi is a component model and OSGi defines the specifications to
many components it is hard to fault someone for not implementing each and
every component. But if someone does implement a component, we want it to
implement the specification faithfully and be compliant.

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM
hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx

office: +1 407 849 9117
mobile: +1 386 848 3788

Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx>
10/06/2006 01:08 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] Status of Equinox respect to OSGi R4

yes you are right I should have qualified/scoped that statement.  I
focused on the framework portions of the core spec and believe that are
"fully compliant" on all portions related to the framework.

It might be interesting if OSGi defined a notion of fully compliant or
perhaps other ways of talking about compliance.  It is not clear how many
people would be able to (or want to) claim "full" compliance.  As OSGi
spreads its wings the set of spec'd services grows broader and broader.
Who would implement all of MEG, VEG, CPEG and now EEG spec'd services?
Perhaps a few people?  Even within one EG there are services that are
quite unrelated.

It would be unfortunate if people started saying "Hmmm, we shouldn't use
Felix/Equinox/... because it is not *fully* compliant" (wrt all OSGi specs
or even just CPEG).  It seems anti-thematic to talk about certifying
collections of loosely coupled components.  Let each component stand on
its merits and talk about its status.

Jeff

"Richard S. Hall" <heavy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
10/06/2006 06:15 PM

Please respond to

cc

Subject

Jeff McAffer wrote:

> Equinox is the R4 reference implementation so yes, it is compliant

Isn't it possible that such an answer could be misconstrued? Equinox
does not implement every aspect of the R4 specification. Granted,
Equinox implements a very large portion of it, but it seems more
forthright to be clear about what it means to be "fully" compliant,
which is what was asked.

-> richard