Re: [equinox-dev] Where can I find equinox docs?

Thank you for your reply John.

Well, the website (www.elipse.org/equinox/documents/) seems not to provide the infos I need ...
I want to investigate equinox as an standalone osgi implementation.
The org.eclipse.osgi_3.2.0.v20060601.jar (delivered with my Eclipse version) works fine standalone, as described on the equinox quickstart guide, but I want to debug the framework. For that reason, I checked out the 'org.eclipse.osgi' code tree from the CVS server (dev.eclipse.org/cvsroot/eclipse), created the provided eclipse project and tried to debug it. Using the predefined Debug configuration of the project (DevFramework), throws some exceptions on startup:

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
   at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:494)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.launcher.Launcher.doAdaptor(Launcher.java:302)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.launcher.Launcher.doIt(Launcher.java:128)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:107)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.LocationManager.getOSGiConfigurationDir(LocationManager.java:341) at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.LocationManager.getConfigurationFile(LocationManager.java:350) at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.LocationManager.initializeDerivedConfigurationLocations(LocationManager.java:197) at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.LocationManager.initializeLocations(LocationManager.java:157)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.BaseAdaptor.<init>(BaseAdaptor.java:95)
   ... 7 more

It seems that the framework starts with an org.eclipse.osgi.framework.launcher.Launcher class, which is different from the Main-Class (org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter) used in the org.eclipse.osgi_3.2.0.v20060601.jar file. I've tried to do it as configured in the .jar file and took the org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter as Main Class for the project startup. Debugging failed then on storage initialization:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.BaseAdaptor.initializeStorage(BaseAdaptor.java:124) at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.initialize(Framework.java:149) at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.<init>(Framework.java:122) at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.OSGi.createFramework(OSGi.java:90)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.OSGi.<init>(OSGi.java:31)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.startup(EclipseStarter.java:273) at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:161) at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.main(EclipseStarter.java:138)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:207) at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.main(EclipseStarter.java:138)

I also found out, that even before 'initializeStorage()' the BaseAdaptor constructor cannot get a valid 'storage' value, because there are no StorageHooks present in the hookRegistry. But why, can you tell me what is going wrong? Probably I am trying to accomplish the intended in a wrong way?

So, again my question: how should I go about debugging equinox as standalone osgi framework, and where can I get some knowledge about all the stuff like different start configs, properties, hooks, storage organization and s.o.

Regards

Vlad

John Arthorne schrieb:

Most, if not all, of the available doc is linked from here:

http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/

In particular, see the "documents" link on the right hand side of this page.

John

*"Vladimir Nikolov (WEB)" <vlad666@xxxxxx>*

04/10/2006 12:17 PM
Please respond to

	equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
	[equinox-dev] Where can I find equinox docs?

Hi,
Is there any kind of documentation on equinox's core (org.eclipse.osgi
package) ? I did not find any references on the website, or elsewhere.
Where can I get some information on start-configurations (config files,
adapter, launcher, ...), equinox-core
(org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core API spec.) and s.o. ?
It would be very helpful for me to have some gathered information,
instead of just debugging like hell ...
Thanks in advance!
Greetings,
   Vlad