Re: [equinox-dev] Equinox on mobile devices

Frank,

I was cleaning up my mail and see that this did not get a response.  Sigh.  We are very interested in supporting these limited environments.  IBM has Eclipse based products that ship in this configuration (Lotus Sametime 7.5).  Many of hte Eclipse plugins spec Foundatin 1.0 as their required execution environment.

Having said that, there are a few quirks to getting this running.  Perhaps you can describe what problems you are having and we can help you through it?  There is a bit of doc on the wiki at http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/J9

As for the JMX stuff, yes, we do run this on J9 foundation 1.0 using MX4J etc.  I'm not sure where the instructions are etc but we should make sure that that is documented as well.

Jeff

"Mittag, Frank" <frank.mittag@xxxxxxx>

07/24/2006 06:17 AM

Please respond to

<equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] Equinox on mobile devices

Hi,

I'm very interested in running the Equinox implementation of OSGi R4
(including the incubator technologies) on several mobile devices using
IBM J9. The nature of such an environment is the limited availability of
resources. Beside this you can't use any JDK, which is well reflected
through the "Execution environments". However, it would we great to
understand and discuss your position of supporting such limited
environments. One very interesting incubator project is e.g. the
Resource monitoring project and it would be great to use it to monitor
the equinox runtime (and the applications on top of it) on a mobile
device. Unfortunately the provided version of the JMX-Feature is JDK 1.5
based and I had some trouble to make it run with JDK 1.4 and IBM J9.

Regards,
Frank