[equinox-dev] R4 / R5

Now that the work on the OSGi R5 spec has started and that we are actively involved in it by prototyping some ideas, I would like to understand what we should be doing wrt our codebase. More specifically here are the question that I have in mind with my answers for them.

1) What do we ship in eclipse 3.3? Do we believe that R5 will be close enough to completion so that we ship 3.3 on an R5 preview (like we have done with for eclipse 3.1 and R4.0), or do we maintain R4 in 3.3 until R5 is completly released?
        (no answer)

2) Where in CVS should the development / exploration of R5 feature be made?
        For now I propose to explore things in a branch to avoid unncessary perturbations. As features stabilize, they can be moved to HEAD if we decide to ship R5 in 3.3.

3) Should we maintain a R4 branch?
        Yes in order to produce equinox build of R4 and to not force everybody in the community to use R5 if they don't need it.

PaScaL

Back to the top