Re: [equinox-dev] OSGi with realtime issues

On 9/1/06, Neil Bartlett <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kenny,

You can use OSGi in a realtime environment such as BEA WLRT, but your

   Thanks for the infomation, it is very helpful to me.

other questions are a little odd. Bundles are not Threads, so they
don't have priorities and they don't get scheduled.
   Yes, Bundles are not Threads, but if there is a company, who using
   OSGi to develop their realtime applications, assuming the architecture
   is something like, Linux + realtime Java VM + OSGi, and their applications
   are implemented by Bundles. In particular, those Bundles have their own
   threads (created by themself) and with different priorities. So here, if  I enhance
   OSGi to have a mechanism, which can dynamically adpat the Bundle priorities
   and schedule those Bundles with real-time performances/requirements.
   Is this reasonable ? or it is not a good idea at all.

   Thanks a agin.

If you're looking for something familiar to compare a bundle with,
then it's closer to a JAR than a Thread. So put your questions in that
context: what would it mean for a JAR to be "finished in a limited
time" or for a JAR to be "scheduled" or to have "priorities"? These
questions don't make sense for a JAR, and they don't make sense for a
bundle.

Hope this helps. Regards,
Neil