    *From:* Richard Piazza [mailto:rpiazza@xxxxxxxxxx]
    *Sent:* Monday, August 21, 2006 2:07 PM
    *To:* Equinox development mailing list; Kaegi, Simon
    *Subject:* RE: [equinox-dev] Accessing Plugins from WAS

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response! I'm not sure how you want to
continue this conversation, so I also wrote directly to you.

    I'm confused on several points, but perhaps the most basic is how
    to translate the URL mappings to the extension points, which is
    what lead me
    to my alternative solution.

    When you use the Websphere development wizards to create web
    services, the WSDL that is created contains the url of the web
    service.  It is usually
    something like "http:/<hostname>:<port>/<WAR
    Name>/services/<servlet name>", where the servlet is the
    implementation of
    the Web Services, but NOT an actual HttpServlet class.  The
    servlet class is generated by the wizard somehow, and is not
    available.
    There is no URL mapping generated in the web.xml file for the
    servlet.  Therefore, I don't know how to do this translation.

    Rich Piazza
    IBM Rational Software
    20 Maguire Road
    Lexington, MA 02421
    781-676-2462
    781-676-2540 (Fax)

*"Kaegi, Simon" <Simon.Kaegi@xxxxxxxxxx>* Sent by: equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

    08/21/2006 01:24 PM
    Please respond to

Hi Rich,
I think the various wizard use-cases like this are interesting as
they're already in wide use.
A while back BJ mentioned, a "WAR to WAB (Web Application Bundle)
translation tool" and associated web container spec. These might
be good things to consider supporting in 3.3 if you want to open
an "enhancement". In particular I'm interested in adding better
tooling support both for general creation of this type of
application as well as translation of existing web apps.
-- for your question ...
Without directly seeing your application its fairly hard to say
what's best however I'd suggest that if you want to make use of
Eclipse functionality that you migrate your servlet application
to be exposed within Equinox through the HttpService. As you're
discovering, creating a hybrid is very tough. Generally I'd
reserve the overriding of the FrameworkLauncher for use in
handling specialized deployment scenarios.
In terms of creating your intial WAB I'd suggest you start quick
and dirty packaging the whole WAR file in a bundle and then later
refine its various components into bundles. For most web
applications the URL mappings in your web.xml can be translated to
the extension-points in org.eclipse.equinox.http.registry. For
webapps with more complex lifecycle needs I'd suggest direct use
of the OSGi Http Service.
Once you've created your web app bundle drop it in
WEB-INF/platform/plugins and restart your servlet container. If
your bundle uses the Http Service directly you might also need to
start it in config.ini.
Hope this helps.
-Simon