Re: [equinox-dev] OSGI Bundles: alternate manifest.mf location

On Jul 7, 2006, at 20:10 , Jeff McAffer wrote:

Neil Bartlett wrote on 07/07/2006 11:41:29 AM:

> I've generally fine with 1 project = 1 bundle, and I like being forced
> to maintain manifests as I develop my bundles. Your model of pooling
> all the source together and then sorting out the bundles later sounds
> messy to me. With no constraints on importing packages, developers
> just hit "Organise Imports" to pull in dependencies from all over the
> place, resulting in spaghetti code.

Of course I'm not advocating to do packaging without putting thought into it, I merely want to uncouple projects and bundles. I don't agree with your statement to simply ban features like "organize imports" because they can be misused by ignorant developers. Using Eclipse does not make bad programmers better. :)

In answer to Marcel's question in another message and related to this, yes the idea of locking down a manifest is to enforce some design constraints at development time.  It is exactly the case that Neil points out that concerns these teams.

Fair enough. Related to this, having an overview of all dependencies and graphically representing them would help a lot here. In 100+ bundle projects it's easy to loose the overview, both of package and service dependencies. Is there any work in Eclipse towards producing such views?

Greetings, Marcel

Back to the top