Re: [equinox-dev] Changes to the equinox.supplement bundle

Yes, this would be a very interesting route to explore.  It may actually prove to be a clearer partitioning of the source.  Currently I have to admit that I can never determine which source folder something should be in.  Note that under this model we might also reconsider the naming of "supplement". No bright ideas are springing to mind but something that indicates that "these are the extra bits particular to Equinox" seems on track.

Just to clarify, are you suggesting that the name of the folder be "supplement" or "org.eclipse.equinox.supplement"?  If the latter, should we be renaming the other folders that we setup this way (e.g., org.eclipse.equinox.console, ...)?

Jeff

Thomas Watson/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

06/20/2006 11:09 PM

We need a way to share the code that is in the org.eclipse.osgi bundle with the code used to build the supplement bundle.

One way we can do this is to move the org.eclipse.equinox.registry project in CVS to the org.eclipse.osgi project.  This could look something like this

org.eclipse.osgi/
        .project
        .classpath
        console/src
        osgi/src
        supplement
                /src
                .project
                .classpath

In the org.eclipse.osgi project we would treat the org.eclipse.equinox.supplement/src directory as classpath entry just like the other source folders (e.g. console/src, osgi/src etc).  But the org.eclipse.osgi/org.eclipse.equinox.supplement/ directory itself could also be checked out individually as a bundle project to get just the supplemental classes for building the standalone org.eclipse.equinox.supplemental bundle.

We may be able to use this approach to build the different parts of the framework separately incases where someone wants the Equinox Framework but not the rest of the bits (console, supplemental classes, eclipse adaptor etc.).  But we still have the flexiblity to build all of the code together from the top-level org.eclipse.osgi project.

This way we do not have to duplicate the code in two different directories in CVS and keep them in sync.

Tom

DJ Houghton <DJ_Houghton@xxxxxxxxxx>

06/20/2006 01:26 PM

Please respond to

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] Changes to the equinox.supplement bundle

I have just released changes to the org.eclipse.equinox.supplement bundle
to HEAD. The added classes are required as part of the investigation into
getting the Equinox registry to run on another framework.

I have also updated all of the class comments so it says which revision it
is based on. Hopefully this will help us keep sync'd up with the code that
is in the org.eclipse.osgi bundle.