[equinox-dev] Location of Persistent UserAdmin Data

Equinox Developers,

I've been developing a user/group admin bundle that runs on top of the Equinox OSGi UserAdmin service  implementation, and I've noticed that data is persisted to a file that is named like so:

"org.eclipse.core.runtime.preferences.OSGiPreferences." + bundle.getBundleId()

So the actual file name might end up being something like: "org.eclipse.core.runtime.preferences.OSGiPreferences.27.prefs"

Since a bundle's id can change between framework starts and stops, users and roles created by a given bundle during one execution of the framework won't necessarily be available to that bundle in another execution of the framework ( i.e. since bundle id can vary across runs).

Should a bundle have to re-create user and role assignments on every start of the framework if persistent data can't be located?  That doesn't seem right to me.

It could be that user admin data can be persisted to a static (known before runtime) location via the Equinox UserAdmin impl, but it's not clear to me how this should be done.

- Ben Schmaus

Back to the top