Re: [equinox-dev] osgi.framework.extensions System Property

Hi Matthew,

Please open a bug against Equinox->Framework for this.  I do not think this has ever been supported.  We need to update the documentation for 3.2 and consider updating the Main class in startup.jar to handle this for 3.3.  Unfortunately for now you must ensure that your framework extension bundle is co-located with org.eclipse.osgi.  This means the following:

- when you are developing the extension bundle in your workspace then you must also have org.eclipse.osgi as a source project in your workspace.
- when deploying your framework extension bundle to an eclipse installation you must co-locate it with the org.eclipse.osgi bundle.  In other words it must be installed in the same "plugins" directory where org.eclipse.osgi is located.

Tom

Matthew Webster <matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx>

05/08/2006 10:11 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] osgi.framework.extensions System Property

I have only had success configuring framework extensions in a runtime workbench if I use a "simple bundle location" e.g. "org.aspectj.osgi" and have the  org.eclipse.osgi bundle in my workspace configured using either "
osgi.framework=org.eclipse.osgi" or "osgi.framework=file\:C\:/workspaces/blah/org.eclipse.osgi". This allows Eclipse to search the parent directory i.e. my workspace to find the extension. However the documentation (http://help.eclipse.org/help31/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/runtime-options.html) states that a URL can be used e.g. "file\:C\:/workspaces/blah/org.aspectj.osgi" but this doesn't seem to work and I can't see how the logic in org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.readFrameworkExtensions() could support URLs. I would like to configure a framework extension without needing the org.eclipse.osgi bundle in my workspace in source or binary form. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)
Email: Matthew Webster/UK/IBM @ IBMGB, matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx

http://w3.hursley.ibm.com/~websterm/