Re: [equinox-dev] Creating and Starting a BundleActivator when the framework launches

Simon,

There must be a bundle somewhere that is active - and therefore has a BundleContext - otherwise your application is doing nothing...

Do you mean that you are installing via Update Manager a set of bundles, and prior to the Update you don't have any of your own bundles already installed in the target application? If you are installing into a completely clean Eclipse application such as the SDK, then yes you have a problem because you can't put your Bundle.start() code into any of the pre-existing bundles. However it's difficult to see what possible use the pre-existing bundles could be making of your service...

How about letting the end user decide whether to start the bundles? You could popup a little dialog... and since that's already a UI thing there would be no problem using IStartup (just keep the popup code in a separate bundle). In non-UI applications you can do something else, like a single line of code on the IPlatformRunnable...

If you have implemented an IPlatformRunnable and have declared it through the org.eclipse.core.runtime.application extension point, then you can get the Bundle and call start() on it there. However if you have the level of configuration control to define and start an application, why don't you have the ability to modify config.ini?

>All I want is to build a bundle on the Eclipse platform that starts as soon as it is installed; >it's really as simple as that.

Okay, but that's really none of the bundle's business. It's the responsibility of the product assembler, or the administrator, or even the end user, to decide when bundles start. Say for example I want to use your bundle, but in my application I don't want it to start immediately. I'd be out of luck, because your bundles think that they must always be running no matter what application they are in.

Sorry if I still don't seem to be getting your problem. If it's still not clear to me after your next reply I'll shut up and let somebody else have a go!

Good luck
Neil