Re: [equinox-dev] RequiresBundle, ImportPackage and virtual providers

It seems to me that you have several misconceptions about the OSGi modularity layer:

   * Import-Package and Require-Bundle have nothing to do with the life
     cycle (i.e., activation) of a bundle; they are resolve-time issues
     only.
   * Import-Package does not create an unversioned, open bucket for
     classes. Packages resolved to Import-Packages are explicitly
     assumed to be self-contained. And it is also possible to declare
     groupings of the self-contained packages using "uses" constraints,
     to prevent different packages from different bundles to be mixed
     and matched. Still, it is never the case that a single package
     will be mixed from multiple bundles via
     Import-Package/Export-Package. Additionally, imported/exported
     packages are fully versioned and bundles can provide and use
     different versions at the same time within the same VM; the only
     limitation is that a given bundle cannot see two versions of the
     same package at the same time, but two different bundles can each
     see a different version without any difficulty.
   * Services are not singletons. Services can also be versioned in the
     sense that two different providers can use and export different
     versions of the service package; thus, different versions of the
     service may appear in the service registry at the same time.
     However, bundles will only be able to see the services which match
     the version of the service packages that they have imported.
   * A bundle is not a closed collection of code, but can be extended
     with fragments.

-> richard