From: equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Neil Bartlett
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 10:02 AM
To: Equinox development mailing list
Subject: Re: [equinox-dev] Declarative Services vs Spring

Joel,

The puzzling thing about JSR 277 is that it fails to answer the
standard question "Why isn't this need met by existing
specifications?". No JSR should exist if it can't give a satisfactory
answer to that question.

It goes on to reject OSGi R3 but is silent on OSGi R4. In fact all of
the reasons given for rejecting R3 are not applicable to R4. So what
is the need for JSR 277? It appears to be a case of "Not Invented
Here" syndrome.

We now have JSR 291 which aims to turn OSGi itself into a
JCP-supported Java standard. I think this the one that will gather a
community around it and deliver something really useful, whereas 277
has conspicuously failed to do anything at all yet.

- Neil

On 3/2/06, Hawkins, Joel <Joel.Hawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are  any Spring representitives involved in this JSR? It seems like a
promising  vehicle for convergence.