From: equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Neil Bartlett
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 8:53 AM
To: Equinox development mailing list
Subject: Re: [equinox-dev] Declarative Services vs Spring

Subbarao,

I think you're probably right. Having played with Declarative Services in
the last few days, I really miss the flexibility and expressiveness of
Spring's DI capabilities.

I've just been to a seminar given by Rod Johnson where he mentioned that
they are working on OSGi integration with Spring, ie making Spring more
dynamic so that it will work properly within an OSGi runtime. That's very
exciting for me because I think that OSGi combined with Spring's rich
framework and AOP features would be an incredible platform for enterprise
services. It would blow away anything previously possible with J2EE and EJB.

Unfortunately Rod said that this functionality is probably something that
will be in Spring 3.0, where Spring is currently in 2.0 M1. As an
alternative from the OSGi side, DS could be made more powerful so it could
replace Spring's DI capabilities, while still making use of the other two
sides of the "Spring triangle".

Neil