Re: [equinox-dev] authentication vs authorization

Scott,

You're right that this is a requirement for a lot of RCP developers,
especially those of us developing in-house corporate applications.

The problem is that there is a wide and multifarious range of
scenarios that need to be supported. For example:

1) Some people want an application that still runs in a limited mode
if users fail to authenticate.
2) Some people want to allow users to log in and out without
restarting the workbench - in particular the Open Healthcare Framework
guys need this.
3) Some people want to have a server dynamically supply the whole
application depending on the user's role...that is, they want IBM
Workspace Client without paying for it :-)
4) Some people want the authorization of plugins controlled according
to the user's role, but also need their application to run offline.
5) Any authorization framework that works by controlling access to
plugins has to interoperate with Eclipse Update.
6) Some people need to authorize access to functionality on a sub-plugin level.

My own project Eclipse-JAAS can support only some of those needs. To
do more requires (I believe) some modifications to Equinox. For
example it would be great to be able to hook into the extension
discovery mechanism so we can filter out extensions the user shouldn't
see.

I think there needs to be a dialog between the Equinox security group
and those of us who are trying to write secure RCP apps. For my needs
in particular, bundle signing and Java permissions are irrelevant
(although Sword4J is very cool). It's not the code I don't trust, it's
the users!

- Neil