Re: [equinox-dev] Fw: [eclipse-dev] Eclipse on IRC

I am quite interested in using an XMPP based system since I already run 4 IM clients for different systems.  Adding an IRC client would be less than optimal.  If I could use one of the XMPP enabled clients I already have (or replace it with the ECF one), that would be great.

Jeff

Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

02/23/2006 01:26 PM

Please respond to
Equinox development mailing list

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] Fw: [eclipse-dev] Eclipse on IRC

Hi Pascal,

Pascal Rapicault wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> Here I'm only forwarding the message. The problem is that the irc
> channels even though not well advertised have been here for quite a
> while.

Understood and agreed...I'm not at all implying that XMPP should/would
replace the established IRC communities.  Actually, I'm engaged with D
Pollack in a direct email channel...as I would like to see ECF used as
an integrated client for both IRC and XMPP access to these existing IRC
channels, as well as new XMPP accounts/chats, etc.

We need some dev help with enhancing the functionality of the ECF IRC
provider, though...and some feature additions to the example app
UI....so we can deliver an ECF IRC client that is more completely
functional.  If people reading this list know of people that would be
willing to put in some effort on the ECF IRC client then please let me know.

> You should bring that topic on the eclipse-dev mailling list or on the
> IRC channel, or maybe can we something running on the server that
> forward message from IRC onto XMPP and vice-versa.

Yes, I will do that as well asap.

Thanks,

Scott