Re: [equinox-dev] Fw: [eclipse-dev] Eclipse on IRC

Hi Scott,

Here I'm only forwarding the message. The problem is that the irc channels even though not well advertised have been here for quite a while.
You should bring that topic on the eclipse-dev mailling list or on the IRC channel, or maybe can we something running on the server that forward message from IRC onto XMPP and vice-versa.

PaScaL

Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

02/23/2006 11:21 AM

Please respond to
Equinox development mailing list

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] Fw: [eclipse-dev] Eclipse on IRC

Hi Pascal and all,

FWIW, the ECF project is now offering access to an Eclipse
Foundation-run XMPP server upon request...where IM accounts can be
setup, chat rooms created/defined for project teams and/or larger
groups, logging used, etc., etc (in terms of server features).

Any XMPP client can be used to access this server, but ECF also has an
Eclipse/RCP-based XMPP.    ECF also has an IRC client that can be run
alongside the XMPP client and used to access any IRC server.

I'm not trying to start an IRC vs. XMPP battle here...but XMPP features
are sometimes useful for team communication/collaboration, and ECF team
has gone to the trouble of getting an XMPP server up and running at
ecf.eclipse.org specifically for committer usage.  Since we/EF
administer the server, we have many options WRT server features,
integration, etc.

Thanks,

Scott