RE: [equinox-dev] Logging, exceptions, and the UserAdmin service

I was thinking that exceptions thrown while executing a console command would go to both the console and the log.  But you make a good point about the framework not logging exceptions it didn't handle, duplicate log entries, etc.  Like I said to BJ, I'm still figuring out how all the OSGi pieces fit together, which is why I was asking.  :-)

Ron

From: equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Thomas Watson
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 2:18 PM
To: Equinox development mailing list
Subject: RE: [equinox-dev] Logging, exceptions, and the UserAdmin service

In general the framework should not be logging exceptions that are not handled by the framework (i.e. any propagated exceptions).  This is because the caller may want to handle the exception themselves and not cause an error condition, or they may consider the exception an error and log the exception themselves.  The problem is the caller will not be able to tell if the exception was logged by the framework already and that will cause duplicate log entries or the caller may not consider the exception an error case but the log will be filled with an exception even though no error occurred according to the caller.

Do you want the console impl (the caller to Bundle#start()) to log the exception or the framework?

Tom.

"Ron Baldwin" <Ron.Baldwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

02/06/2006 01:27 PM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
RE: [equinox-dev] Logging, exceptions, and the UserAdmin service

I've done some more looking at this.  It looks like if you start or stop a bundle from the console then the exception stack trace goes to the console, but if the framework starts or stops the bundle, exceptions go to the log.  If this is by design (which I assume it is), then I would suggest that exceptions always be sent to the log even if they also go to the console.  Does this sound reasonable?  If so, I'll log a enhancement request.

Also, is there an easy way to get the framework to stop a bundle to verify that exceptions in the BundleActivator.stop() go to the log?  I've tried programmatically stopping a bundle from another bundle, but then you end having to handle the exception yourself instead of the framework handling it.

Ron

RE: [equinox-dev] Logging, exceptions, and the UserAdmin service

yup.  bug reports are good.  reports with patches are even better ;-)

Thanks Ron.

Jeff

"Ron Baldwin" <Ron.Baldwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

02/02/2006 07:57 PM

Please respond to
Equinox development mailing list

cc
Subject
RE: [equinox-dev] Logging, exceptions, and the UserAdmin service

Doh.  I completely missed the log command when I was looking at the console commands.  That would have come in handy a few days ago.  :-/

I have verified that exceptions are logged for BundleActivator start() and Declarative Services activate()/deactivate(), and when parsing malformed activator.xml files.  However, BundleActivator stop() does not log and instead the exceptions are sent to stdout.  I assume this is a bug I should log?

Ron

Re: [equinox-dev] Logging, exceptions, and the UserAdmin service

In answer to your question #2, Declarative Services logs to the LogService in all of those cases.  I'm pretty sure that BundleActivator start() and stop() go to LogService as well.  Try running with -console and using the "log" console command.

Regards,

Roy

Roy Paterson
IBM Pervasive Computing
Austin, TX
Phone: (512) 838-8898

"Ron Baldwin" <Ron.Baldwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

02/01/2006 04:29 PM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] Logging, exceptions, and the UserAdmin service

Hi,

I have a few issues that I'm having difficulty finding information on.
I would appreciate any assistance or pointers to documentation.

1. Do messages logged with org.eclipse.equinox.log get persisted to disk
anywhere, or do you have to have a listener to get them?  If a listener
is required, what's the best practices way of making sure your listener
is running before log messages are generated?
2. Do errors get logged somewhere when a BundleActivator start() or
stop() method throws an exception?  Also, I'm not seeing any errors when
the activate() and deactivate() methods for declarative services throw,
or when an activator.xml file is malformed.  Instead everything just
fails silently.
3. I'm trying to use org.eclipse.equinox.useradmin which requires me to
load org.eclipse.equinox.preferences and org.eclipse.equinox.registry.
Although all show as active in the console, I can't get a reference to
the UserAdmin service which I'm guessing is due to the log messages (see
below) generated on start up.  What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance,
Ron

!SESSION 2006-02-01 16:14:38.501
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.5.0_06
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments:  -dev
file:D:/Dev/Users/Rbaldwin/Eclipse/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.ecli
pse.pde.core/OSGi testing/dev.properties -console -os win32 -ws win32
-arch x86

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2006-02-01 16:14:39.689
!MESSAGE An unexpected runtime error has occurred.
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
              at
org.eclipse.core.internal.preferences.PreferencesService.getPrefExtensio
ns(PreferencesService.java:1134)
              at
org.eclipse.core.internal.preferences.PreferencesService.initializeScope
s(PreferencesService.java:91)
              at
org.eclipse.core.internal.preferences.PreferencesService.<init>(Preferen
cesService.java:170)
              at
org.eclipse.core.internal.preferences.PreferencesService.getDefault(Pref
erencesService.java:83)
              at
org.eclipse.core.internal.preferences.Activator.registerServices(Activat
or.java:74)
              at
org.eclipse.core.internal.preferences.Activator.addingService(Activator.
java:80)
              at
org.osgi.util.tracker.ServiceTracker$Tracked.trackAdding(ServiceTracker.
java:1011)
              at
org.osgi.util.tracker.ServiceTracker$Tracked.track(ServiceTracker.java:9
89)
              at
org.osgi.util.tracker.ServiceTracker$Tracked.serviceChanged(ServiceTrack
er.java:917)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.FilteredServiceListener.service
Changed(FilteredServiceListener.java:71)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.dispatchEvent
(BundleContextImpl.java:1219)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventMana
ger.java:189)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.ListenerQueue.dispatchEventSynchrono
us(ListenerQueue.java:141)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.publishServiceEventPr
ivileged(Framework.java:1530)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.publishServiceEvent(F
ramework.java:1505)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.ServiceRegistrationImpl.<init>(
ServiceRegistrationImpl.java:103)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.createService
Registration(BundleContextImpl.java:649)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.registerServi
ce(BundleContextImpl.java:601)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.registerServi
ce(BundleContextImpl.java:667)
              at
org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.osgi.Activator.startRegistry(Activato
r.java:110)
              at
org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.osgi.Activator.start(Activator.java:5
4)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl$2.run(BundleC
ontextImpl.java:994)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivato
r(BundleContextImpl.java:988)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.start(BundleC
ontextImpl.java:969)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(BundleHo
st.java:316)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.resume(AbstractB
undle.java:328)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.resumeBundle(Framewor
k.java:1041)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.resumeBundles
(StartLevelManager.java:573)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.incFWSL(Start
LevelManager.java:495)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.doSetStartLev
el(StartLevelManager.java:275)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.dispatchEvent
(StartLevelManager.java:455)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventMana
ger.java:189)
              at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventMa
nager.java:291)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.preferences 4 0 2006-02-01 16:14:39.704
!MESSAGE FrameworkEvent.ERROR