Re: [equinox-dev] Alternate Extension Point namespace

The eRCP programming guide will recommend that all app dependencies be declared by "Import-package" rather than "Require-plugin" so that dependencies can be resolved to either the full desktop plugin or to the eRCP subset version regardless of what symbolic ID is used for the plugins. The Extension Point namespace is the wrench in the works.

Inactive hide details for Nick Edgar <Nick_Edgar@xxxxxxxxxx>Nick Edgar <Nick_Edgar@xxxxxxxxxx>

          Nick Edgar <Nick_Edgar@xxxxxxxxxx>

          11/29/2005 02:58 PM

          Please respond to
          Equinox development mailing list

cc

Subject

Re: [equinox-dev] Alternate Extension Point namespace

I thought that one of the goals of eRCP was to provide a common
programming model so that plug-ins written against eRCP would run
unmodified on the full RCP.
If so (and I think this is an important goal), then we should keep not
only the same type names and package ids where appropriate, but also the
same plug-in ids, since these are essentially API (not just as part of
extension point ids).

But there should still be some way of distinguishing the eRCP subset of
org.eclipse.ui in the configuration.  I'm not sure what the best approach
is here though.  Using version ids doesn't seem to be the right answer.

Nick Edgar
Eclipse RCP UI lead

Mark Rogalski <rogalski@xxxxxxxxxx>
11/29/2005 03:38 PM
Please respond to
Equinox development mailing list

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[equinox-dev] Alternate Extension Point namespace

For eRCP we would like to have a smaller org.eclipse.ui plugin that has
fewer graphics and only a subset of extension points. However, producing a
plugin with the same symbolic name but different content does not seem
like a good practice since the two plugins could potentially be confused.
The problem is that Extension Points are known by their "plugin symbolic
name" + "extension name". Thus, Extensions Points can not be provided by
another plugin and still be found.

Tom Watson mentioned that there had been some discussion of loosening this
restriction. Is there anything currently in the works that would resolve
this problem or would you entertain adding a "namespace=" tag to allow
changing the default namespace?

equinox-dev mailing list
equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx