Re: [equinox-dev] support for component API refactoring

Clearly I have not thought deeply about this but superficially, the OSGi bundle markup gives you enough information to figure out where exactly each referenced class will come from.  With this info, you should be able to correctly apply the transformations without accidents.  You would have to do an analysis to see that the set of "new" classes does not overlap the set of existing classes but that should be pretty straightforward.

As for BCEL and ASM, yes, you would want some abstraction above this.  I wonder if there are any really simple tools out there since the sort of transformations (at least initially) envisioned here are very simple (e.g., add some constant pool entries and change some constant pool references).

Jeff

Martin Lippert <lippert@xxxxxxx>

11/24/2005 04:08 PM

Please respond to
Equinox development mailing list

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] support for component API refactoring

Hi,

I am not sure whether BCEL or ASM are the only tools to do such kind of
client migration to evolved APIs. I definitely think that you would need
some kind of abstraction layer above those bytecode libraries to let API
producers define those "API migrators". This abstraction layer could be
a specialized API evolution DSL or a framework or something similar...

In addition to that: I think that the implementation of such a migrator
framework would need to do a lot of analysis of the client code in order
not to damage its implementation. For example: renaming a class would
cause the migrator to adapt references to that class. What happens if a
class with that name already exists in the client? And I think there are
a lot of more difficult situations where a "stupid" modification of the
client code would break the implementation. Any thoughts on that?

-Martin