RE: [equinox-dev] Roadmap?

First an answer to your last questions.  Yes, anything that makes writing components easier is very much of interest here.  Rather than creating new programming idioms and mechanisms it would be interesting, as you have been doing, to investigate all possible avenues.  If in the end there is truly something new here, it may make sense to supply a library/bundle.

I will offer an alternative that *may* make sense. It is something that we have been playing with.  In the Eclipse extension registry it is possible to create executable extensions via a factory (see IConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension() and IExecutableExtensionFactory).  So your IoC framework could publish an extension point "prereqs" (for lack of a better name).  People who have prereqs (services in your example) to register can then supply extensions that identify either the actual class to instantiate (if the simple no-arg constructor is enough) or an IExecutableExtensionFactory (with args) if more complicated construction is needed.

In the IoC mechanism (com.example.ioc)
<extension-point id="prereqs"/>

In the provider JAR (org.example.provider).
<extension id="prereq1" point="com.example.ioc.prereqs">
  <prereq
      class="org.example.Factory:coolObject"

This extension says run the org.example.Factory and tell it to create the thing called "coolObject".  The factory can be as simple or as complicated as you like.  You can make some generic factories and share them or make one per thingie you want to create.  You can also pass in an arbitrary number of args statically declared on in the extension (see the Javadoc for details).

You then have two choices for when the contributed prerequisites are actually instantiated and supplied to consumers; lazily or aggressively.  If you go for the lazy approach then your POJO could access the prereq on demand using something like
        Object IoC.getPrereq(String prereqName, Object objectToInject)
where the prereqName is the id of the extension to instantiate (org.example.provider.prereq1 in the above example).  (not really a POJO if it is referencing IoC but you seemed fine with this in your example...)  This ends up being implemented as a call to IConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension().  The prereq object is only instantiated as needed.  When you stop using it, just drop the pointer. I believe previously you stated that lifecycle was not important so the disappearance of the provider should not be an issue.

If you want to create the instances aggressively then the IoC mechanism should have the sort of registerDependency method you outlined.  It should also implement an IRegistryChangeListener that listens for new extensions being added to the "prereqs" extension point.  When it sees one that someone has registered an interest in, it calls createExecutableExtension and uses the supplied setter.  If it later sees the extension going away, it can unset the value.  See IExtensionTracker for some utilities to help manage this.

Some notes:
- You are probably thinking that this is crazy, the extension registry is buried deep in Eclipse.  Wrong!  As of today's integration build it is actually broken out in its own bundle (org.eclipse.equinox.registry) and the intention it that it run on any OSGi R4 implementation (we've not tested that part yet).

- So you are still thinking, "but its based on OSGi".  Yes and No.  It is pluggable.  You can customize the implementation of the registry to suite different sources of declarations (e.g., something other than plugin.xml), different namespace management policies and different mechanisms for implementing createExecutableExtension.  We supply an OSGi registry strategy but you can supply one of your own.  The usecases that are driving this new structure are quite similar to your hosted and client scenarios.

- The ability to supply dynamic context objects to createExecutableExtension is currently not implemented.  We discussed this late in 3.1 but opted out.  This topic has been raised again and we are certainly open to adding it.

- I've thought about this exact problem for about as long as it took me to write this response so I could be completely out to lunch here...

Jeff

"John Wells" <jwells@xxxxxxx>

11/22/2005 04:00 PM

Please respond to
Equinox development mailing list

cc
Subject
RE: [equinox-dev] Roadmap?

Yes, the code using the LogService would have to explicitly check (with a synchronized block) whether or not the logger exists.  The code would be something like:

LogService localLogger;
synchronized (this) {
  localLogger = logService;
}

If (localLogger != null) {
  localLogger(“This is fun!!!”);
}

This will work whether or not we are in the OSGi environment.

Also very interesting “trick” to getting the bundle.  Thanks.  I wish there was a more “framework independent” way to do this.

My more general question remains though:  is this a requirement that more people than me have faced?  Would a Dynamic IoC utility be of interest to the OSGi community?  At this point I’m writing this thing anyway, I just want to know if people here would be interested in me contributing the code?  Since this is a utility (of course it would be a Bundle as well) I’m not exactly sure where the proper place would be to put such a thing, or if people are even interested in such a facility.

John Wells (Aziz)
jwells@xxxxxxx