Re: [equinox-dev] Using the org.eclipse.osgi.jar.verifier

equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 2005-11-21 09:10:22 AM:

> BJ, according to the OSGi spec is the Framework required to verify
> to whole jar each time the Framework is started?  The current
> implementation verifies each entry of the bundle as it is loaded on
> demand (e.g. when a class/resource is loaded).  We do not
> aggressively verify the complete jar at startup.  This would effect
> startup time in an unacceptable way.  Imagine verifying 1000 jar
> files at startup.  It would take over 10 minutes just to startup!!

Well unless the framework keep the bundles in a tamperproof store, not
verifying them is an excellent attack technique! I can replace a verified
jar with my attack jar and then when Eclipse restarts, I am free to
attack.

> Andre, you may want to try running Eclipse with the property osgi.
> checkConfiguration=true set.  This should cause any bundles which
> get modified to be reinstalled.  Similar to -clean except only for
> the bundles which got modified.

Perhaps this is the answer. I am not sure how you detect modification when
it happens outside of the running Eclipse.

> Tom

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM
hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx
Office: +1 407 849 9117 Mobile: +1 386 848 3788

Back to the top