Re: [equinox-dev] A bit disappointing dependency...

Hey Niclas,

Thanks for reporting the typo.  I'll fixed that right now.

I understand that there is a need to build parts without using Eclipse.  There are a couple paths.

- you can use Eclipse's PDE build mechanism in a headless/batch mode.  This effectively takes a list of bundles to build and generates Ant build files and then runs them.  The mechanism can also automatically fetch the code from CVS if needed.  This works quite well (its how we do all our builds) but is an Eclipse specific mechanism.  That is, you have to have parts of Eclipse around but you don't actually have to use Eclipse to do development.

- you can write custom Ant scripts to do the build.  This will be reasonable for a small set of bundles low down in the dependency graph.  As you try to build things higher and higher in the graph the classpath becomes very hard to manage.

- There is some hope that the Maven2 folks will come up with a mechanism for building OSGi bundles.  If so, this would be useful/usable here.

So, we have tended towards the first approach because the build structure VERY accurately models the runtime structure (i.e., there are very few classpath surprises if you code compiles correctly).  As I say, the custom Ant script approach does not scale well so we have not gone that way.  The best bet for folks who would rather not use PDE Build for their headless/automated builds is to go down the Maven path.  We would gladly accept contributions of POM files that allowed Equionx bundles to be built using Maven.

Make sense?
Jeff

Niclas Hedhman <niclas@xxxxxxxxxxx>

10/23/2005 05:37 AM

Please respond to
Equinox development mailing list

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] A bit disappointing dependency...

Jeff et al,

I am about to start to use Equinox as the primary platform for a couple of
projects. Since I normally end up in "finding bug territory", I would like to
use OSGi off the CVS directly.

I have managed to pull down "org.eclipse.osgi" module from CVS after figuring
out the error page http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/resources.php
  :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/eclipse
-->
  :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/cvsroot/eclipse

But is it true that I must use Eclipse to build it ???

I am personally not a big fan of the Eclipse IDE and will not start using it,
just to build this stuff.

Would the community be amendable to an alternate Ant based build ??

Cheers
Niclas