Re[2]: [equinox-dev] Re: Client side security store (Peter Kriens)

The fact that you made several wrappers seems to prove my point :-)

It is a long time ago I played with it and therefore can't recall the
details of my dislike.

However, I agree that we should try to use standards if possible.

Kind regards,

     Peter Kriens

Jnic> Can you elaborate on what you think is "cumbersome" about
Jnic> Keystore and why you don't like the Keystore APIs ?  What kinds
Jnic> of simple things were you trying to do ?

Jnic> It does have some "idiosyncrasies", but IMHO Eclipse
Jnic> should not stray to far from the core Java APIs except to add
Jnic> value where it can.  Extending core Java APIs, specifically in
Jnic> the area of security is much better than inventing a whole new
Jnic> model.  I could envision the possibility of some convenience
Jnic> wrappers/classes on top Keystore (in fact we've done several in
Jnic> some projects I work on).

Jnic> Particularly, in order to use any JSSE implementation,
Jnic> you must provide some Keystore.  So if Eclipse ventures down a
Jnic> path of a non Keystore based security store, it would require an
Jnic> Keystore provider as well if you wanted it to connect to
Jnic> SSL/JSSE as well.
Jnic> Jay R.
Jnic>  IBM Software Group
Jnic>  Workplace, Portal and Collaboration Software
Jnic>  Workplace Managed Client, Security "Keep on dancin' through to daylight.
Jnic>  Greet the morning air with song.
Jnic>  No one's noticed, but the band's all packed and gone.
Jnic>  Was it ever here at all?" - Barlow, Weir

--
Peter Kriens                              Mob +33633746480
9C, Avenue St. Drézéry                    Tel +33467542167

Back to the top