Re: [equinox-dev] Integrating AspectJ Load-Time Weaving into OSGi/Eclipse

Peter,

>One more thing. Is it possible to have a short discussion so that this
>model also works in Knopflerfish and Oscar?
Certainly. Do you mean here on the list. There are 2 elements to the
current suggestion: an OSGi service used by the adaptor/class loader to
request weaving and the extended manifest headers. The latter is only
required to support the co-opt model.

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)
Email: Matthew Webster/UK/IBM @ IBMGB, matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx
http://w3.hursley.ibm.com/~websterm/

Peter Kriens <Peter.Kriens@xxxxxxxx> on 19/09/2005 19:30:46

Please respond to pkriens <Peter.Kriens@xxxxxxxxx>

To:    Matthew Webster/UK/IBM@IBMGB
cc:    equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:    Re: [equinox-dev] Integrating AspectJ Load-Time Weaving into
       OSGi/Eclipse

One more thing. Is it possible to have a short discussion so that this
model also works in Knopflerfish and Oscar?

If the open source community standardizes it, then I can try to get
this accepted as an OSGi standard.

Kind regards,

     Peter Kriens

MW> I have been looking at AJEER
MW> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ajeer) and
MW> what the AspectJ team (http://eclipse.org/aspectj/) are currently
calling
MW> AOSGi to compare the two approaches to supporting AspectJ load-time
weaving
MW> (http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/doc/next/adk15notebook/ltw.html) in the
MW> OSGi/Eclipse environment. Both approaches enhance class loading at the
OSGi
MW> level (by replacing the Framework Adaptor) to facilitate byte-code
MW> modification and allow aspects to be treated as first class entities in
an
MW> Eclipse environment. However they differ greatly in the way that
aspects
MW> are declared and how the set of bundles affected is determined. The
goal of
MW> this analysis is to develop a single implementation of AspectJ LTW in
MW> Eclipse/OSGi.

MW> Independently of the Eclipse/OSGi environment AspectJ offers two
different
MW> models for applying aspects. Using the "opt-in" model an application
MW> developer writes their own aspect or customizes one provided in a
libarary
MW> through the implementation of a concrete sub-aspect or using Java 5
MW> annotations. The co-opt model allows someone other than the application
MW> developer to write a concrete aspect that implements a
platform-specific
MW> integration feature or a problem diagnosis capability, package it in a
MW> bundle and affect applications in the system without requiring them to
be
MW> modified in any way. Both models are supported by AspectJ load-time
MW> weaving. Both models are applicable to the OSGi environment where an
MW> application is represented by one or more bundles.

MW> The AJEER project offers a very simple approach to declaring aspects
using
MW> the Eclipse plug-in mechanism. One or more aspects are packaged in a
bundle
MW> and declared through an extension point provided by the weaving
mechanism.
MW> Essentially it offers a global co-op model with target classes
determined
MW> by pointcuts only. It doesn't exploit AspectJ 5 LTW configuration
through
MW> aop.xml files because it predates that mechanism.

MW> AOSGi is designed to be a natural extension to both AspectJ LTW and
OSGi.
MW> It uses AspectJ 5 aop.xml files to declare aspects and the OSGi
component
MW> model to determine the scope of any weaving. Just like AJEER aspects
can be
MW> first class entities packaged in bundle fragment or library bundles.
AOSGi
MW> supports both the co-opt and opt-in models with the latter using
proposed
MW> extensions to the current bundle manifest headers. A draft
specification
MW> that describes this in more detail is attached.

MW> I think the approaches are complementary and we should try to support
both
MW> using a single weaving runtime. This runtime will intercept class
MW> for each plug-in, determine which aspects are declared to affect the
MW> plug-in and call AspectJ to perform the necessary weaving. A optional
MW> byte-code caching service should also be provided. We need to discuss
how
MW> to plug the different configuration mechanisms into a single weaving
MW> runtime, possible using a OSGI service. The same applies to the
byte-code
MW> caching. Enhancments to the existing AspectJ WeavingAdaptor will be
MW> required to override the use of aop.xml files.

MW> AOSGi - Supporting AspectJ Load-Time Weaving in OSGi

MW> Byte-code weaving is achieved by replacing the default Framework
Adaptor

--
Peter Kriens                              Mob +33633746480
9C, Avenue St. Drézéry                    Tel +33467542167

Back to the top