[equinox-dev] Bundle directories

As part of the Equinox transition we want to put together a directory of bundles that people can get and use.  It turns out that many of the Eclipse bundles, upon closer inspection and after a bit of reorganization in the lower reaches of the Eclipse runtime, are really quite independent of Eclipse and should be able to run in many different situations.  Things like the extension registry, jobs, preferences, help, swt, ... are all generally useful.  To help promote the use of OSGi (and Eclipse of course :-) we want to ensure that it is easy for people to discover and use these bundles.

The obvious approach is to enhance the update technology to make it easier to manage individual plugins and to separate the payload from the metadata.  Add to that some additional PDE function for adding plugins from the update site to the target and it starts getting pretty attractive.

As part of the due diligence for this we looked around and found a couple of related technologies that may be interesting to explore instead or in addition.  Maven 2 repos (and Wagon) and the Oscar Bundle Repository (OBR).  Below is a capsule summary of the technlogy and some of the issues.

Coincidentally it turns out that OSGi itself is looking to setup a directory on osgi.org.  This makes perfect sense.  Persumably we should try to coordinate and use similar/compatible technology, use the same directory, ....

There are two main use scenarios.

Populating a running instance
=============
The user is running an OSGi framework and invokes some operation (e.g., browses a repo) that triggers the download and installation of a bundle.  Ideally all of the prerequisite bundles are also downloaded and installed.  This is very interesting.  However, forcing people to be connected to install is problematic.  Connectivity, firewalls, etc all get in the way.  There needs to be a way of simply acquiring the bundles and installing them later.  Perhaps multiple times.

Aquisition of function
=============
Here the user is looking to simply discover and acquire desired function.  They want to browse available bundles, check licenses, and then aquire the bundles (and optionally the related source) and perhaps the prerequiste bundles as well.  The downloaded bundles can then be installed, added to targets, traded with friends, ...

In both cases the user should be able to talk about groups of bundles (this scales better and allows people to capture logical groupings of otherwise unrelated bundles) and MUST be able to preview and filter by license.  In this day and age this is critical.  The IBM Eclipse team members, for example, are not allowed to download anything without knowing the license first.  All it takes is a few bytes of GPL to ruin your day.

In any event, it seems that the ideal is for some combination of OBR and Update capabilities with the option to back onto a Maven repo.  Why not do it all :-)

Jeff

Maven 2 repos:
=============
- The repo itself is just a particular disk layout where paths are group-id/artifact/version/<stuff>. so for example,
        eclipse/org.eclipse.osgi/3.1.0/org.eclipse.osgi_3.1.0.jar
- No surprises.  Quite simple.
- It is not listable and there is no index
- It follows a strict containment model so the same content in multiple groups would be duplicated
- "Wagon" appears to be some technlogy/API for accessing the repo locally and remotely but I'll be darned if I can find any doc or other info on it.  There isn't even a download or indication of what to check out of the repo.  I'm not sure of the status of this work and thus how you would access the repo from Java code is unclear.  Perhaps it is only intended to be accessed from Maven during a build?
- There appear to be some number of people setting up Maven repos and if one had a maven build going on, you could point it at the bundle directory (assuming it was Maven format).  Unclear if you can run a build with multiple remote repos and search them...
- There is no notion of searching, grouping or categorization.  Additional organizational structure would be needed to enable discovery
- There does not appear to be a standard way for repo entries to expose a license either to humans or as search criteria

OBR
====
- I have not had a chance to try this myself.  I've just read the doc, talked to a couple people and guessed the rest :-)
- Repo is just disk, remote or local.
- Disk structure unknown but the general architecture is one where metadata is added to the repo but content is hosted elsewhere.  so in effect you don't care
- Eclipes Plugins exist or populating an OBR's metadata. I have not tried this but heard about it from Mikael Desertot.  He is talking about it at OSGi World Congress in Oct.  I hope to find out more before then.
- OBR client talks to the repo (protocol unknown) and fetches all available metadata.  User selects some bundles to install.  OBR figures out what other bundles are needed and downloads/installs them into the current instance
- Unclear if one can just download the bundles and stash them for later/alternate use (e.g., as part of a target)
- Unclear if the resolution/picking accomodates R4 things like Require-Bundle
- So far I have not seen a standard way of exposing a license to users or filtering download/install candidates based on license type
- There is a rumor that ORB supports a characteristic matching facility that sounds promising in terms of selection of bundles
- the client already appears to support some level of search over the metadata
- downside is that it downloads all the metadata.  This may not scale as the repo grows to hold many versions of many bundles.
- no facilities for managing groups of bundles.  Sometimes individual bundle dependencies are not enough.  For example some bundles connect together via loose couplings like extensions.
- client (command line) appears to be reasonably functional

Update (for completeness)
=======================
- Disk layout based repo.
- http access
- site list/index in site.xml.  Metadata embedded in artifacts (features, plugins).
- standard practice todate has not filtered up the dependency metadata into features so it can be hard to get the complete picture without actually downloading the plugins. This is not a technological problem but rather a convention/practice that would have be overcome
- supports license exposure
- supports groupings of bundles (e.g., features)
- would need utility helpers to ease the addition of individula (or groups) of bundles by generating a feature for them.  The update site builder technology can be leveraged here.
- No "smarts" on the client in that it only downloads what you told it.  There is some very modest search capability that helps find required features.
- rudimentary command line client capabilities but non-trivial API in the background.
- Categorization on the site.xml  Only one level?
- Update site is expected to physically contain all bundles and features.  Curently no facilities for serving content separate from metadata. One tractible change would be to have the plugin jars on a separate site but the feature.jars contain the interesting metadata so either we have to extract the feature.xml or the whole feature has to stay with the site/directory.

Back to the top