Re: [equinox-dev] Transition

Well, beyond the framework, the OSGi spec specifies services. But services
must be implemented by bundles. So it makes more sense for implementations
to be called bundles.

I also think the bundles(services) component will end up with more than
bundles which implement OSGi defined services. In the proposal you mention
things like the Eclipse Extension registry being part of Equinox. Under
which component will that reside? I would imagine bundles.

BJ Hargrave
Senior Software Engineer, IBM
hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx
Office: +1 407 849 9117 Mobile: +1 386 848 3788

Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Please respond to
Equinox development mailing list

cc

Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] Transition

Good point.  Do you have some examples?  Keep in mind that the "services"
component is targetted at implementations of the other parts of the spec,
not random other function.  How does the full OSGi itself talk about the
distinction between the core framework and these other parts?

Jeff

BJ Hargrave <hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx>
09/05/2005 09:51 AM

Please respond to
Equinox development mailing list

cc

Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] Transition

I like it.

Perhaps the organization should be framework/*bundles*/incubator. There
are many interesting bundles which do not themselves provide services. So
calling the component bundles rather than services is more general.

BJ Hargrave
Senior Software Engineer, IBM
hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx
Office: +1 407 849 9117 Mobile: +1 386 848 3788

Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Please respond to
Equinox development mailing list

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[equinox-dev] Transition

There is a move afoot to transition Equinox to the Eclipse PMC and develop

it into an OSGi community.  Please take a minute to review the
documentation at

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indextech.cgi/~checkout~/equinox-home/transition.html

and surface any issues or questions.

equinox-dev mailing list