Re: Re[2]: [equinox-dev] About the benchmarks of OSGi

Yes but the resolver etc is more complicated and takes more work.  What you are calling esoteric may well be main line for Eclipse (and vice versa).  Pascal'point is very apt.  If you are measuring startup and footprint the R4 changes likely play a role.  In any event, implementations should stand on their merits/behaviour.  The scale factor should not be underestimated also.  Eclipse has been optimized to run 1000s (yes, 3 zeros) of bundles.  Our footprint might be larger to start but in larger systems we are smaller and faster.

Jeff

Peter Kriens <Peter.Kriens@xxxxxxxx>

04/13/2005 10:09 AM

Please respond to
pkriens and Equinox development mailing list

Pascal Rapicault/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
cc
Subject
Re[2]: [equinox-dev] About the benchmarks of OSGi

R3 are still compatible with R4. R4 added some new
class loading features but they are mostly in the more esoteric range
for large deployments that do not want to refactor their code.

R3 bundles are still more or less the preferred mode and run unchanged
on R4 frameworks.

Kind regards,

    Peter kriens

PR> First you would have to compare OSGi implementations that are
PR> functionnaly equivalents. For example eclipse' osgi implements
PR> R4.0 behavior which is a lot different than the R3.0.
PR> Then depending on which aspects you want to measure you would
PR> probably have to instrument the code base in order to get
PR> comparable numbers.
PR> Some numbers that could be interesting:
PR> ????- memory consumption of a bundle
PR> ????- time to load a class
PR> ????- startup time
PR> ????- how many bundles can the system handle
PR> ????- service lookup time

PR> PaScaL

PR> "rvm2004" <rvm2004@xxxxxxx>
PR> Sent by: equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
PR> 04/12/2005 11:19 PM
PR> Please respond to
PR>  Equinox development mailing list

PR> equinox-dev@eclipse.orgcc
PR> Subject
PR> [equinox-dev] About the benchmarks of OSGi

PR> Hi all
PR>  I am very interested in the Eclipse and OSGi technology. Now
PR> I am doing the research about OSGi, and I want to know whether
PR> there are some key points or benchmarks that can measure the
PR> performance of the OSGi platform(such as Eclipse OSGi,SMF etc.)
PR> ,for example the usage of virtual memory, physics memory, basic
PR> startup time, and so on. That is if I want to compare several OSGi
PR> platform’s performance, and optimize one of them, which aspects
PR> should I consider? Which aspects could demonstrate the performance
PR> of a OSGi platform?And if I want to do some optimization for OSGi
PR> platform,which aspects can I optimize?what is the Future
PR> directions?Any response will be appreciated, thanks very much.

PR>  Best wishes, Zhoujing

PR> ?网易188财富邮--财富的象征;全新开放, 丰富用户名等您注册
PR>  �最�?G空间,附件40兆收发;免费注册体验
PR>  equinox-dev mailing list
PR>  equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

Peter Kriens                              Mob +33633746480
9C, Avenue St. Dr�z�ry                    Tel +33467542167
34160 Beaulieu, France                    Tel +15123514821
AOL,Yahoo pkriens                         ICQ 255570717