Re: [equinox-dev] CVS module questions

Enrique,

The startup.jar code is intended to configure an OSGi framework by calling a class called EclipseStarter.  This class initialized the framework, installs the bundles listed on the osgi.bundles list and then attempts to run an "application".  This structure is not "standard" because OSGi doesn't say anytihng about how OSGi systems boot or run, just how bundles interact.  thoughts/questions:

- in M6 we are improving the ability to use the Eclipse OSGi standalone.  This includes packaging it as one jar and including a main() that just runs OSGi and a console.  I suspect this is not quite what you want but is worth stating anyway :-)

- how do you automatically install bundles on other OSGi implementations?

- I'm assuming that since you run your stuff on other OSGi implementations that you do the work of your application/system in the start() method(s) of some bundles.  If so, why do you want to use startup.jar?

- Are you considering changing to use applications?  If so, lok at how some existing applications are structured.  Pretty easy, just implement an IPlatformRunnable and contribute an application extension (see org.eclipse.ui.ide for an example).  Then you list the application id in the config.ini's eclipse.application property.

Jeff

Enrique Rodriguez <erodriguez@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: equinox-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/05/2005 02:34 AM

Please respond to
equinox-dev

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject

Pascal Rapicault wrote:

> EclipseStarter is in org.eclipse.osgi and Main is in org.eclipse.platform.
> What are you looking for?

I have a bunch of plain-old OSGi bundles that work fine with the Oscar
and Eclipse OSGi containers.  I am in the process of moving from the
manual install of bundles on the console prompt to something I can ship
with an installer.

I only really need the OSGi runtime, but I am trying to determine what I
can reuse from the startup.jar and config.ini infrastructure.  My
problem is that as soon as I mess with the 'osgi.bundles' setting, I
start to generate a variety of exceptions related to improper setting of
the eclipse.product and probably other related settings.  Looks like I
need to generate or configure a 'product' or 'application'.  I attached
an error, below.

I asked about the location of the EclipseStarter and Main so I could dig
into how the Eclipse infrastructure above the OSGi runtime works.

-enrique

bash-2.05b# more configuration/1110007610126.log
!SESSION Mar 05, 2005 02:26:50.711
eclipse.buildId=I200406251208
java.version=1.4.2_05
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_US

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime Mar 05, 2005 02:26:50.712
!MESSAGE Product org.eclipse.platform.ide could not be found.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi Mar 05, 2005 02:26:50.734
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.RuntimeException: No application id has been found.
        at
org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:313)
        at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:273)
        at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:129)
        at
        at
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:183)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:644)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:628)