Re: [equinox-dev] Why do we need systembundle.mf?

Renaming to a manifest.mf was a problem at one time.

There was an issue in locating that manifest.mf because there were other such files
on the classpath... can't remember the exact cause, but I remember that we had the
problem because the system bundle was loaded by a JRE-provided classloader,
not a bundle classloader...

I don't know if it is still an issue.
Cheers,

Olivier Gruber, Ph.D.
Persistent & Distributed Object Platforms and Frameworks
IBM TJ Watson Research Center

Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: equinox-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/27/2005 09:45 AM
Please respond to equinox-dev

Is it that you want to delete the file or rename it to manifest.mf?  Seems like the file is actually required as it has lots of exports etc.  If you delete it then the adaptor would have to supply all that info.  I think the model was that the systembundle.mf combined with the relevant adaptor.mfs gives the logical manifest.mf for the system bundle.  Having an actual manifest.mf for the system bundle might be confusing.

Jeff

Glyn Normington <glyn_normington@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: equinox-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/27/2005 07:17 AM

Please respond to
equinox-dev

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] Why do we need systembundle.mf?

>I can't find a reason as why we still have systembundle.mf in the
framework.

It enables the OSGi framework to be started outside of Eclipse without the
user having to provide their own system bundle manifest, which is just one
less step in getting started.

Glyn

Telephone: +44-(0)1962-815826. Email: glyn_normington@xxxxxxxxxx