Re: [equinox-dev] RCP, OSGi and all that

> equinox-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 11/08/2004 06:14:51 AM:
>

> The root of the evil here is that the Eclipse OSGi implementation
> supplies various services and the rest of the Eclipse bundles make
> use of these.  We have always been interested in running Eclipse on
> other OSGi implementations but have never had the time to work it
> through.  While I'm sure there will be hiccups, I'm pretty sure it
> can be done with relative ease.  (Issues like the Eclipse auto-
> activation model will be a problem)
>
> The thing to keep in mind here is that OSGi leaves alot of things
> undefined.  They do not talk about how bundles are laid out, how
> they get installed, how do they get started, ...  Eclipse has put in
> place structures for these things.  Other OSGi implementations may
> or may not have done so.  If they have, the approaches are likely different.

I also want to point out that in Eclipse 3.0 we support additional OSGi API's that
are being proposed for the OSGi R4 specification.  So if you are using a R3
implememtation of OSGi then many eclipse bundles will likely not work.  For example, the
eclipse runtime depends on the new Bundle.loadClass() and Bundle.getEntry() methods.

Back to the top