[equinox-dev] changes to the bundle markup

In a review of the proposed bundle markup we discovered a couple of inconsitencies or confusing points that we want to clarify.

- Qualifier separator is now '.'.  Previously an OSGi version number was defined as "major.minor.micro-qualifier".  This was somewhat hard to parse and slightly inconsisten.  We agreed to change it to "major.minor.micro.qualifier".

- "provide-packages" parameter is now "reprovide.   On the Require-Bundle: header there is the parameter which says that the packages visible from a required bundle are made available to people who require the requiring bundle.  "provide-packages" was causing confusion for people (I agree).  So "reprovide" was suggested and agreed.

The equinox team will make these changes as soon as possible and release them.  The plan is to have this in next week's I build.  We are not planning on doing alot of backward compatibility work.  The qualifier separator was not implemented as a '-' (it was only a plan) so there is no change there.  The provide packages change will affect only people who have hand crafted manifest.mfs.  In general the manifests are generated from the plugin.xmls.  Further, most hand crafted manifests are legacy related and do not have these new entries.

Please bear with these changes and address any issues to this list.

Jeff

Back to the top