In the longer term, if we want to continue exposing Eclipse-like semantics we probably need some look-aside data which maintains the user's intention and then we just map that onto the plugin.xml or manifest.mf as appropriate.

Jeff

Dejan Glozic

10/07/2003 09:56 AM

        To:        Jeff McAffer/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
        cc:
        From:        Dejan Glozic/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
        Subject:        Re: [equinox-dev] Exporting the entire bundle?Link

PDE has two converters - plug-in->bundle and bundle->plug-in. The former is available explicitly (as a migration wizard for people moving from plug-ins), while the later is inside the bundle adapter. To get things going quickly, we have created a plug-in adapter that 'acts' like a regular plug-in/fragment but really wraps two model objects - one for the bundle manifest and another for the 'extensions.xml' file. Together, these two models are wrapped within an adapter that 'acts' like a plug-in so that PDE can use it in all the regular places (to compute the classpath etc.).

The addition of 'Require-Bundle' sorted one problem out - I can now have a more-less direct mapping between 'requires' and 'Require-Bundle'. Likewise, I can create 'library' objects from entries in the 'Bundle-ClassPath' list  but have a problem with mapping exporting/prefix rules.

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Platform Components
D2/MY7/8200/MKM