Re: [equinox-dev] 'Implicit' plug-ins to add

There are actually three configurations possible depending on the intent of the user/developer

- Pure Bundle Developer: They need org.eclipse.osgi on their classpath. This contains all of the API for OSGi (and only that API).
- Eclipse Bundle Developer: They should have org.eclipse.core.runtime.osgi on their classpath.  This reexports org.eclipse.osgi as well as adding some old runtime elements (e.g., IPath, IStatus, ...) and some new stuff (e.g,. ExtensionRegistry, ...)
- Eclipse Plugin Developer:  They should have org.eclipse.core.runtime on their class path as usual.  This plugin requires and reexports org.eclispe.core.runtime.osgi and (implicitly) its fragment org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility as well as org.eclipse.osgi.

The summary here is that org.eclipse.core.runtime should only be on the classpath/requires list of so called "legacy" plugins. New world plugins/bundles should require org.eclipse.core.runtime.osgi.

Note that org.eclipse.core.boot is obsolete in the new world.  It contains only one class/package (which has a new name) and is internal.  It is safe to include boot on the classpath (there are no conflicts) but at runtime its contents will not be available.  Ideally we want boot to go away.

Jeff

Dejan Glozic/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: equinox-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/03/2003 07:06 PM