Re: [equinox-dev] framework shutdown and bundle listeners

(the following thread went private accidentaly. But since it is of general interest, I am fixing my mistake...)

Peter, I should have made it clear sooner, but the main bundle I am talking about is the Eclipse runtime, and regular bundles would be Eclipse bundles (the ones with extensions/extension points).

So, despite my sincere admiration of OSGi's decoupled nature, it is still unclear (at least for me) whether Eclipse bundles should be able to exist in the absence of the Eclipse runtime. If they should not, we need to enforce that all Eclipse bundles are stopped before the Eclipse runtimeis closed for business. A service event notification is simply too late.

About bundle hierarchies being bad, in general, I agree, but I believe that Eclipse on top of OSGi still provides a platform for its bundles, and it makes sense to me that Eclipse bundles require this platform to run, and conversely that the platform knows about the "managed" bundles (right now, the extensions registry is where this knowledge is kept).

Again, sorry for not making explicit which bundles I was talking about since the beginning.

Thanks,

Rafael

Peter Kriens <Peter.Kriens@xxxxxxxx>

11/08/2003 09:39 AM