be writable. But it is not the Eclipse install location. We still need to sort out  the details about how the install/update mechanism will integrate in the new picture.

Rafael

Dejan Glozic

24/07/2003 12:37 PM

        To:        Jeff McAffer/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
        cc:        equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, Rafael Chaves/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA, Dorian Birsan/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
        From:        Dejan Glozic/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
        Subject:        Re: [equinox-dev] workspace metadata and OSGiLink

Update is definitely going to remove its state from the workspace metadata. It just does not make sense to link data that relates to the application as a whole (i.e. features that are currently installed, installation history etc.) to workspace data (projects etc.). We had nothing but grief due to this.

We don't know where this 'application-specific' metadata location will be. We are currently pursuing our own implementation for the sake of making some progress, but are willing to switch to whichever general strategy for storing application-specific state we choose. However, we do have certain requirements for this location. This is what we plan to do now:

1) We will store the state relative to the 'eclipse' directory if possible
2) If this directory is read-only OR if shared install is desired (using command line argument -shared), we will store the state in <user.home>/<application-id> where <user.home> is unique for each local user, and <application-id> is the one defined in .eclipseproduct marker file.
3) The corollary of 1) and 2) is that Update state will be in a well known location relative to the Eclipse application (unlike today where there can be unlimited number of workspaces). This is important for the native installers/uninstallers - they will be able to clean up the shared state (if found).

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Platform Components
D2/MY7/8200/MKM