Re: Re[2]: [equinox-dev] Updates on registry resolution

yes!  This is something that seems to come up in many scenarios and from different people.

Related to this, I would propose that the actual policy used for version resolution in the framework be pluggable.  One motivation is the constrast between local and global version optimization.  Local optimization says "pick the highest version that satisfies my constraint".  Global says "pick the highest version that satisfies the most constraints".  Local gives you independence but at the cost of more classes loaded and more chance for ClassCastExceptions.  Global may introduce artificial interdependencies but reduces both the loaded class count and the chance of exceptions.

Note, this may not have to be in the framework spec (i.e., it may just be an implementation choice) but the spec should leave room for it to happen.

Jeff

Peter Kriens <Peter.Kriens@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: equinox-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/29/2003 06:10 AM