Re: [epp-dev] 2020-12 - Retrospective

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 5:14 PM Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The simrel vs epp distinction is one that only matters to the small group of us who actively contribute. To all the end users it makes no difference.

Right.

We could remove simrel from EPP (it is also in Platform's SDK package). But then we still want a site where people can install supported projects? If so, we can put all the supported projects in the EPP p2 site! Of course that is just a "new simrel". This "new simrel" is different in that it is pull instead of push for responsibility. The total work needed is similar, it just feels that more of it ends up on EPP's plate?

Yes, that's more or less my idea: EPP taking some responsibility of SimRel (creating and publishing a p2 repo of all included components) and stop relying on SimRel for that. I'm of the idea that it would greatly simplify things and reduce the amount of overall maintenance effort for "the small group of us who actively contribute".

Alternatively, we can thin down simrel aggressively, but I am not sure if that actually helps end users. Even in the case of removing mylyn as currently proposed (which still works, for now!) does not help the users.

I have hope (but no proof) that end users actually don't use the installation dialog -hence included sites like SimRel- directly but instead rely on Marketplace more.

Back to the top