Re: [epp-dev] Eclipse JavaScript Neon and Content Assist

Hi,

Thanks for coming to this mailing-list to ask such questions! That's very welcome!

On 11/06/2016 03:40 AM, Tony G wrote:
So I've downloaded Eclipse _javascript_ Neon 1a but I haven't installed yet. I'd like to know if this "should" be any better.
Here are some news: https://www.eclipse.org/neon/noteworthy/#_javascript_development , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEnc6nL0UI4&index=20&list=PLy7t4z5SYNaRJff0KBMbubOaj8gevvML4 , http://tools.jboss.org/blog/2016-09-29-_javascript_-development-tools-neon1.html
It's worth upgrading to Neon anyway.

As in, I have Eclipse-Java with a JS plugin, I'm wondering if a more recent Eclipse JS package with Java added might work better. Or should I go with Eclipse-Java Neon? Or with some other IDE? (*gasp*)
Java and _javascript_ tools in Eclipse IDE are separated. Having Java Development Tools installed won't improve anything about JS Development and vice-versa.
If you're doing JS only, the "Eclipse IDE for _javascript_ and Web developers" is the recommended package. It's available via Eclipse IDE installer or https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/Neon/1A . But as Eclipse IDE is modular or extensible, you're free to use any package and install JSDT into it (via marketplace or Eclipse Simultaneous Release repository). If you're doing JS and Java, then you could consider using the "Eclipse IDE for Java EE developers" which contains both Java, JSDT and all Web Stuff.
I'm thinking you folks are aware of the current solution options, and the open issues that no solution seems to have resolved. Can we expect Eclipse _javascript_ Neon to have a decent solution out of the box?
Yes, things are getting better and better. You can expect some improvements going from Mars to Neon.1, some more improvements between Neon.1 and Neon.2 and so on with every version.
The more contributors participate the the JSDT project, the faster a decent/good state will be reached. You can get in touch with the various ways of contributing if you're interested https://eclipse.org/contribute/ . It you're interested in contributing directly, even some important user stories to help prioritizing work, you should get to the wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx mailing-list where technical discussions about the _javascript_ Development Tools happen.
Should we load something like Tern or Aptana? Are there guidelines for how to set project properties for optimal functionality? Any current docs describing recommended solutions and caveats?
i strongly recommend installing tern.java plugin (available on MarketPlace) on top of JSDT. It adds good completion, good hover, good outline. Additionally to the debug features and NPM/Node.js of JSDT in Neon, it makes Eclipse IDE very decent for JS ;)

HTH,
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers

Back to the top