Re: [epp-dev] How is the update schedule chosen for automatic updates (enabled by default now)?

Hi Andreas,

let me summarize the details from my memory. The details are covered in [1].

- Automatic Updates is enabled in all packages since Eclipse Mars M5.

- There are not a lot of options available which is why we choose a weekly search on Tuesday, 10am. This day and that time has some advantages: It is not the first day after a weekend when everyone starts to work, and it is not too long after our usual release days (Friday).

- The search for updates starts at 10am *local* time or at the first time after a Tuesday, 10am when Eclipse is being started. Whatever comes first. In the worst case, all requests are spread in 24 hours.

- The download from eclipse.org should be limited to something like content.jar and artifacts.jar, the artifacts itself are loaded from the mirrors, and even those two files are cached and use xz compression whenever possible.

Regards,
Markus